Friday, March 27, 2015
Jolly Pumpkin Labels Signed By Artist Adam Forman: Contest
As you know, I am part of the "bizarro world where people give a shit about good beer and ask all kinds of questions about [label] art." That's a quote from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales label artist Adam Forman in a recent magazine Q&A (pages 18-21) describing his recent stardom for his label work. After checking with Jolly Pumpkin, I asked Adam if he'd sign some labels for me for a contest and giveaway. Both graciously accepted!
After putting things in motion, it occurred to me that I had several Twitter exchanges over the years with Iron Chef Michael Symon about Jolly Pumpkin beers. I confirmed his favorite was La Roja and asked even another favor of Adam--to personalize one of the La Roja labels for Michael. Seems Adam is a huge Michael Symon fan and his dedication is great in that it includes his "giving a shit" mantra! Chef Symon loved it too!
Adam has done all the labels for Jolly Pumpkin, since its 2004 inception. Adam had been tattooing Jolly Pumpkin Founder Ron Jeffries for a while. When Ron opened Jolly Pumpkin, he asked Adam to do some labels, and the rest is history. I highly suggest you read the magazine article above as well as the interview he did with BeerLabelsArt.com for other interesting information.
As you know, Google knows everything, so here are tons of images of Adam's Jolly Pumpkin label art. Adam's blog is also great as it offers insight into his entire body of work, not just his label art. Follow him on Twitter. Looks like his Facebook is mostly dead--my kind of guy--but you can see a great photo from last year of Adam and Ron Jeffries there.
So the contest... Adam signed 8 different labels for me which you can see below. I plan on giving away several sets of all of them. We'll see how many entries there are and go from there, but please do enter! Answer 3 of the 5 questions below before midnight next Friday, April 3, 2015. Enter by leaving a comment or if you must, email me (I know some of your fancy phones don't like blogs: email@example.com) and I'll publish them for you. Don't copy answers--it'll be easy to notice--and these questions are completely opinion anyway. Be creative and be sure to leave me some way to contact you should you be the winner.
1. What is your favorite Jolly Pumpkin label and why? It doesn't necessarily need to be one of the eight above. Any Jolly Pumpkin label.
2. Name at least one Jolly Pumpkin beer that has a few different label versions (hint: two are part of this contest). Which version do you like better and why?
3. Which Jolly Pumpkin beer do you like the best (forget the art for this one). Why? If you haven't tasted any, which would be the first you'd like to try and why?
4. If you were asked to create the next Jolly Pumpkin beer, what would be the name, beer style, etc.?
5. I asked this question before, but what other brewery/artist pairs are doing the best label work? Why? (P.S. Don't say Flying Dog and Ralph Steadman--I already know! LOL)